Mold can still be a problem, even if unseen or not smelled. Believe it or not, most mold goes unseen to the dismay of homeowners who find it in unsuspecting places. This is because mold can and will grow anywhere water can be. Mold is very capable of growing in complete isolation inside wall cavities, between floors and ceilings, and even in attics. If a mold is hidden from sight, and cut off from the flow of the air you’re breathing, you probably won’t even smell it. Many people who find mold are shocked that their home had mold simply because of it’s location and because they could not smell or see it. Mold can still be a problem, even if unseen. The CDC lists many of the answers people may need about mold and the illnesses that come from exposure to it
However, molds produce chemicals that can penetrate walls and get into your lungs without you even knowing it. there are two types of chemicals: microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs), and mycotoxins. .These chemicals can make you very sick without you even know what’s happening until you are sick. Some people never discover mold until they go to the doctor and find out their is an external cause to their respiratory illness which likely is mold within their home. Mold produces many symptoms for illness that can be serious if left untreated. Mold is nothing to play around with as it can be very toxic.
Common symptoms of exposure to VOCs include:
Short-Term (Acute) Symptoms
- Fuzzy brain and/or dizziness
- Sore, red and/or itchy eyes
- Asthma attacks
- nose and/or throat irritations
Long-Term (Chronic) Symptoms
- Liver or kidney damage
- Nerve damage
The Point: If someone in your home is chronically in, and especially if they feel better away from their home than when they are home, a professional mold inspection & possibly a mold removal.